Assistant Professor, UO Presidential Initiative in Data Science (Computer Vision)
Department of Computer & Information Science, University of Oregon
Other Academic Affiliations:
- Faculty Affiliate, Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, University of Oregon
- Faculty Member, NSF Center for Big Learning
- Graduate Faculty Member, UIUC
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, ECE, UIUC
- Co-Leader At Large, IFP Group
- Member, C3SR (IBM-UIUC Center for Cognitive Computing Systems Research)
Prospective Students/Visitors/Post-docs & Collaborators/Sponsors: Contact me.
- The 1st International Workshop and Prize Challenge on Agriculture-Vision @ CVPR 2020 recorded videos for talks and panel discussions are online at YouTube.
- The 2nd IEEE International Conference on Humanized Computing and Communication with Artificial Intelligence (HCCAI 2020) @ Irvine, California is calling for: Workshop Proposals & Paper Submission. (due 07/01/2020)
My current research focuses on accurate & efficient visual understanding for AI systems & applications, in particular I have recently worked in:
- Computer Vision: classification, object detection, segmentation, activity recognition, etc.
- Machine Learning: deep learning, weakly-supervised learning, transfer learning, efficient learning, etc.
- AI Systems & Applications for Science, Engineering, Education, Agriculture, Medicine, Finance, Transportation, etc.
- PhD, Electrical & Computer Engineering, UIUC, 2014 - 2017
- MS, Electrical & Computer Engineering, UIUC, 2014 - 2016
- BE, Engineering Physics, Tsinghua University, 2005 - 2009
- Assistant Professor, CIS, UO, 2020.01 - Present
- Graduate Faculty Member, UIUC, 2018.08 - Present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, ECE, UIUC, 2020.08 - Present
- Courtesy Assistant Professor, CIS, UO, 2019.06 - 2019.12
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, ECE, UIUC, 2017.12 - 2020.08
- Research Staff Member, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, 2017.11 - 2019.12
- Algorithmic Trader Intern & Consultant, Jump Trading, 2016.05 - 2017.11
- Visiting Scholar, LV Group, NUS, 2015.05 - 2015.07
Selected Honors & Awards
- National Academy of Engineering US Frontiers of Engineering (2019)
- Outstanding Poster Award, MIT-IBM AI Horizons Colloquium (2019)
- IEEE/ACM DAC System Design Contest 1st Place (2019)
- IBM Research Accomplishment Award (2018)
- IBM Invention Achievement Award (2018)
- IBM Equity Award (2018)
- NIST/IARPA TRECVID Activity Recognition Challenge 1st Place (2018)
- Nvidia AI City Challenge 1st Place (2017)
- ImageNet Video Object Detection and Tracking Challenge 2nd Place (2017)
- ImageNet Video Object Detection Challenge 3rd Place (2015)